Friday, May 15, 2009

The Bug

Looks like my Maddie got the bug also. The crazy desire to Make Something. I don't know exactly what she is making. It has something to do with water, and color, and coffee filters. I don't think that Maddie herself actually knows exactly what it is that she is making, 


but she is singing as she works, a mindless happy little tune. That can only be good. Do you do that when I you are really involved in a project?  I think that I hum. And talk to myself loudly.

Look at that workspace. So orderly! More proof that she is my daughter.

An update: On Growing Up

Remember my Important Agreement: the one I made with Maddie regarding freedom and responsibility. Well she has taken up the reigns of wardrobe choice with flair. For the first little while, she didn't mix it up too much. She wanted the freedom, but wasn't quite sure what to do with it once she had it. But then the other day, a light bulb went on in her pretty little head, and she thought, "Hey, I can wear whatever I want! What am I going to do about that?" and just like that my little girl sprouted her own look, and her look is decidedly bohemian. Skirts over pants are the order of the day. Crazy colors and lots of jewelry. I am loving it. Mostly I am loving it because I have been to her class, and there is not another little girl there sporting the same type of finery. 
My little individual! Now, I know that this type of thinking may be the gateway drug to crazy notions like pink hair and nose rings. Whatever makes you feel pretty, hon.

2 comments:

Lynda said...

I have no idea who originally said this but your post reminds me of something I say often
"You were born an original, live your life so as not to die a copy"
Your beautiful young daughter will never be a copy :)

Unknown said...

It's so fun to see Maddie working at the kitchen table. I think that table holds six years, or so, of memories with color and scratch of past creative activities.
It's so nice for me to be able to peek over her shoulder!
from faraway grandma........