Sunday, August 2, 2009

Unequivocal Success!



Event sales are apparently down all over to a tune of about 30%, but not at the Oregon Jamboree where at last count there were 3 t-shirts left, and sweatshirts were starting to sell out even in the sticky and suffocating heat. That is with about about 2 hours to left to go, and the first day sales were the best that they ever had. That means that this slightly off kilter display with its classy paper labels, and the tables with their stacks of sizes are now completely empty.

This is of course all due to spectacular designing, and planning on my part, and the part of my team members, and has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that there were 15,000 people there to see Tim McGraw, Leanne Rimes, and Montgomery Gentry, etc. How ridiculous it is that if nothing had sold, I would have felt completely responsible, but since it was an utter success, I find myself looking for all of the reasons that have nothing to do with me?


Mixed feeling aside, and they are mixed, we did have a great time at the event. Hot, very hot, but great. We got to see Joey and Rory, my mom's special favorites, and they are just adorable. See how cute. They were on for an hour, and they made us both laugh several times and cry twice.


Here is my mom watching them. I was pretty excited about that.


We felt the sun shine hot all day, and watched it set pretty spectacularly over the crowds. This was of course, when we were not scanning the crowds to examine each fans attire. This is particularly exhausting.


We saw Tim McGraw, and Leanne Rimes, and even we not really country fans, could not help but enjoy ourselves some Indian Outlaw, and appreciate the way Leanne can sit there on a stool, sweaty and hot, in a tank top and cut-offs, and belt out songs to break your heart. Interestingly, Tim encored with Steve Miller's Joker. This made me ridiculously happy.


Mostly now, there is a feeling of relief and closure. Ok, what's next?

2 comments:

Erin Joy said...

Hurray! Congratulations! You deserve real kudos, no matter who else worked on the project. It's easy too accept responsibility for failure, much harder to allow yourself to feel pride for a big accomplishment. You guys all deserve a great big hug! I wish I had been there!

Diana Jo said...

Katie, I am so proud of you!!! I was anyway but I'm so happy at this success for you. Speaking from fan's and/or attendee's point of view I can tell you if I had been there and wanted to buy a t-shirt or sweatshirt but the design had been ugly or displeasing, I would NOT have bought one. Those items sold because you created awesome designs, its that simple. People just don't spend their money on things they don't like or won't wear. So happy you and your mom got to experience that together. You both deserve it!!
Lots of Love, Auntie Di.