Saturday, August 29, 2009

I Did It

This photo belongs to berroco.

DID IT! Actually, I did three Things, the second one is the cause of my jubilation, and led to the first one. The last one is just the result. Confused?

The Second Thing is... I cast on my first ever sweater! (pictured above) I have been avoiding it, out of sheer terror, but I finally went for it. I saw the pattern and immediately fell in love, I had to have it. Right now. However, in order to have it, and had to knit it, and in order to do that I had to first wind my yarn. Now I don't have a spinner thingy to do it for me, so the First Thing I did was to wind 880 yards of laceweight yarn by hand. Yes, I did. It took me over an hour, an leads me to the Third Thing I did, the result, which is to cement my place forever in the crazy person hall of fame.

For those of you still catching up:
I am knitting a perfectly normal, worsted (heavy weight) if asymmetrical sweater pattern in a lace weight (like thread) yarn. May I just add, I have no idea how to convert a pattern into a pattern for different weight yarn. Also, I don't know if I will actually have enough yarn. To make matters worse, all of the reviews that I read about the sweater said that the pattern comes out way to small even when knitted perfectly to gauge. See, crazy. But right up my alley.

So any suggestions, comments, or words of encouragement would be welcomed. For those of you in the know, the pattern calls for 1180 -1400 yards of 10 ply, I have 1740 yards of 2 ply and I will try to knit in a large size. Am I anywhere near close? Also, I am a little worried about drape. It is 100% merino, but is so light. Ok, here goes.

3 comments:

Erin Joy said...

Can't wait to see progress on this one! I have no idea how it will turn out, either. Are you using the same needles you would need for the 10 ply? If so, it will be lacy indeed. Sounds like a grand adventure to me.

Diana Jo said...

I'm seriously chuckling right now. You are a brave girl and remind me somewhat of myself oh so many years ago. I would see some craft pattern, fall in love and just have to make it. Usually I only had about half the skills required. BUT, taking that leap of faith in oneself is SO important. We never know the things we can accomplish unless we challenge ourselves. I don't know a damn thing about knitting so I can't offer any solutions to your project but I certainly congratulate you for jumping in and just doing it damn it! Can I expect to see the finished project when I'm up the end of Sept. :-)
By the way, I agree, the sweater is a must have. Love auntie Di.

Katie Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Hmm, the end of September. Probably not. Sorry. But it is something to shoot for.