In a practically unprecedented display of social participation, my husband and I went a Halloween party on Saturday. In anticipation of this event, I set about altering an old wedding gown to be more Burtonesque. Also to fit.
It was meant to be black, but polyester does not take dye terribly well. I also extended the straps with black velvet, and added some vintage lace to the front to compensate. The back became lace-up corset style, with the help of some metal toggle loops found in the beading section, and painstakingly stitched up the back (24 in all.)
We won't be discussing how beautifully this dress fit me when I first wore it. I was twenty, so it doesn't count.